What are Student Development classes?
These are one or two credit classes designed to assist students with relevant college related concerns in a class setting with the goal of helping you to fulfill the AIMS of a BYU education, thus experiencing success and happiness while attending BYU.
ST DEV 109 Effective Study and Learning
ST DEV 117 Career Exploration
ST DEV 140 Life Planning and Decision Making
ST DEV 141 Individual Development
ST DEV 205 Success In College Reading
ST DEV 305 Advanced Reading Strategies for College Success
ST DEV 317 Career Strategies
When you enroll in a Student Development course you increase your ability to:
- Raise your Grade Point Average
- Be an effective decision maker
- Improve performance on exams with better test-taking skills
- Make reading a meaningful experience
- Handle the note-taking challenge
- Create strategies to deal with the expectations found in college
- Explore and identify a major that is suited to your interests, values and plans
- Face the University experience with greater confidence
- Recognize your developing personality and strengths
- Grow in personal development as a college student
When are they offered?
They are offered each semester or term, usually with multiple section offerings.
How do I enroll?
Same procedure as other classes. They are listed under Student Development (STDEV).
Involvement in a Student Development class has several strengths: 1) it enhances commitment to the task of career exploration and decision making, since a grade is involved, 2) you have the opportunity to be in a class with other students who have the same concerns, thus giving you mutual support and sharing of information and resources, and 3) it gives you the extended amount of investment in time and energy to explore and think about these issues adequately. With this in mind, we consider the class to be one of the most intensive and most successful ways to engage in career exploration, decision making, and improved scholarship.